So Easy Braised Artichokes
picked this up from one of my favorite cookbook authors: Mark Bittman from the New York Times. There are so many ways you can vary the flavor of the braising liquid.
- fresh artichokes
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 c
- chicken broth
- 1 c
- white wine
How to Make So Easy Braised Artichokes
- 1Snap off tough outer leaves from the bottom of the artichoke. If the artichoke has a long stem attached, just trim off the bottom of the stem. This is very delicious, too
- 2Cut each artichoke in half, lengthwise.
- 3Take a spoon and remove the "choke" from the heart of the artichoke (the very fine inedible area right above the heart)
- 4In a skillet on med-high heat, add either the olive oil, the butter or a combination of both and let melt.
- 5Add the trimmed artichokes, meaty side down and let them get nicely browned.
- 6Once browned, add either chicken broth or white wine or a combination or whatever other flavor you may like to the pan and then cover until the artichokes are tender and braised, about 20-25mins.
- 7Remove the artichokes and make sure there is some liquid in the bottom of the and reduce to a nice sauce and silken it with a pat of butter.
- 8Pour the sauce over the artichokes and ENJOY!