So Easy Braised Artichokes
picked this up from one of my favorite cookbook authors: Mark Bittman from the New York Times. There are so many ways you can vary the flavor of the braising liquid.
How to Make So Easy Braised Artichokes
- Snap off tough outer leaves from the bottom of the artichoke. If the artichoke has a long stem attached, just trim off the bottom of the stem. This is very delicious, too
- Cut each artichoke in half, lengthwise.
- Take a spoon and remove the "choke" from the heart of the artichoke (the very fine inedible area right above the heart)
- In a skillet on med-high heat, add either the olive oil, the butter or a combination of both and let melt.
- Add the trimmed artichokes, meaty side down and let them get nicely browned.
- Once browned, add either chicken broth or white wine or a combination or whatever other flavor you may like to the pan and then cover until the artichokes are tender and braised, about 20-25mins.
- Remove the artichokes and make sure there is some liquid in the bottom of the and reduce to a nice sauce and silken it with a pat of butter.
- Pour the sauce over the artichokes and ENJOY!