Slap Your Mama It's So Delicious Southern Squash Casserole
- 3 lb
- yellow squash - sliced or diced
- 1/2 c
- diced vidalia onion -optional
- 1 can(s)
- cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- 1 c
- 8 oz
- shredded cheddar cheese (sharp is my favorite)
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pkg
- ritz crackers crushed
- 1 stick
- melted butter
How to Make Slap Your Mama It's So Delicious Southern Squash Casserole
- 1Preheat Oven at 350
Wash and slice squash into small medallions or dice into smaller pieces if the squash is large. I prefer smaller sized squash since it is tender. Put squash into large bowl for mixing with the filling.
- 2In separate bowl, mix together the soup, mayo, eggs, and cheese, onions, salt and pepper. Pour over squash and stir until well mixed. Then pour into casserole dish for baking.
- 3Crush crackers while in "tubes". I usually wrap them in a dish towel to avoid a mess, and use a rolling pin or meat tenderizer. Pour crushed crackers into a bowl. Melt butter in microwave and stir into crackers until moist. Drizzle on top of casserole. (You can make more or less of the topping. More topping = more yummy!)
- 4Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and brown on top. Usually 45-50 minutes. Watch to be sure not to burn crackers. Can cover with foil if necessary.
- 5***If you want you can add a cup of chopped cooked chicken into casserole. Also, adding 2 cups of cooked rice into it makes a delish meal.