- 1 lb
- fresh asparagus
- 1/2 stick
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 c
- hard cooked eggs, chopped
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- fine, dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 c
- grated or shredded swiss cheese
How to Make Scalloped Asparagus
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boiling. Spray a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- 3Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus, trim off any sandy scales. Wash thoroughly.
- 4Add asparagus to boiling water. Cover. Lower heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until lower parts of stalks are fork-tender. Drain. Transfer to paper towels to drain further.
- 5To prepare cream sauce:
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute.
Gradually stir in the milk.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat. Reserve.
- 6Arrange half the asparagus in a layer in a prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half the chopped egg. Dot with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- 7Arrange another layer with remaining asparagus. Sprinkle the center portion of asparagus with the remaining chopped egg.
- 8Pour the reserved cream sauce down the middle of casserole. Sprinkle sauce with bread crumbs and cheese. Dot uncovered portions of asparagus with remaining 2 tablespoons butter to prevent drying out during baking.
- 9Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for about a half hour. Uncover, bake 2-3 minutes more or until top is browned.