1 lbfresh asparagus
4hard cooked eggs, chopped
1/4 tspcayenne pepper
2 Tbspfine, dry bread crumbs
1/2 cgrated or shredded swiss cheese
How to Make Scalloped Asparagus
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to boiling. Spray a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus, trim off any sandy scales. Wash thoroughly.
- Add asparagus to boiling water. Cover. Lower heat. Simmer for 10 minutes or until lower parts of stalks are fork-tender. Drain. Transfer to paper towels to drain further.
- To prepare cream sauce:
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in flour. Cook 1 minute.
Gradually stir in the milk.
Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
Remove from heat. Reserve.
- Arrange half the asparagus in a layer in a prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with half the chopped egg. Dot with 1 tablespoon of the butter. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Arrange another layer with remaining asparagus. Sprinkle the center portion of asparagus with the remaining chopped egg.
- Pour the reserved cream sauce down the middle of casserole. Sprinkle sauce with bread crumbs and cheese. Dot uncovered portions of asparagus with remaining 2 tablespoons butter to prevent drying out during baking.
- Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for about a half hour. Uncover, bake 2-3 minutes more or until top is browned.