Sauteed Butternut Squash with Garlic, Ginger & Spices
Well, I found this in Fine Cooking and it was a huge hit at Christmas about 5 years ago and now it is always on our Christmas table along with the turkey!!
Even people (like my husband) who hate squash love this.
*My own pic
- 4 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 4 c
- 1/2 inch diced, peeled butternut squash (approx a 2 lb squash)
- kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp
- finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp
- ground coriander
- ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp
- finely chopped cilantro (optonal)
- cayenne pepper
How to Make Sauteed Butternut Squash with Garlic, Ginger & Spices
- 1Melt 3 tbsps of the butter in a large 10 inch straight side saute pan over med-high heat.Add the butternut squash and a large pinch of salt. Cook stirring occasionally at first and the more frequently as squash browns until it is tender and lightly browned about 15 mins.
Push the squash to one side of pan and add the remaining tbsp of butter to the clear space. When the butter melts add the ginger, garlic and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook the aromatics in the melted butter stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan until they are softened, 1 - 2 mins. Stir the cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cayenne into the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir the flavorings into the squash, adjust the salt to taste, garnish with cilantro if using and serve.I happen to love cilantro so I always add lots!
- 2I absolutely LOVE this dish. It looks complicated and I thought so first too when I made it , now I make it from memory and it is so delicious. I could eat it all myself!!
One tip is to have everything ready before you start. I remember searching through my pantry the first time I made it looking for my spices and getting very frustrated!! My husband still says he doesn't like it but I see him eating it every time.!!Easily doubled or tripled...I do!!!