Saffron Vegetable Paella
If you prefer you can add some cooked chopped chicken to make this a meat main dish. Or add some tofu to up the protein count.
- 1 lb
- fresh asparagus, cut in 2 inch pieces
- 3 c
- broccoli florets
- 2 tsp
- olive oil
- red bell pepper, cut in strips (or use yellow or green bell pepper)
- 2 small
- zucchini, chopped
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp
- sea salt
- 1/2 tsp
- saffron threads
- 4 c
- cooked brown rice (ok to use white but resulting dish will not be as healthy)
- 2 large
- tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 can(s)
- (15-16 ounces each) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pkg
- (10 ounces) frozen baby green peas, thawed and drained
How to Make Saffron Vegetable Paella
- 1Heat to boiling 1 inch of water in a large skillet. Add asparagus and broccoli and boil for 4 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain. Set aside briefly.
- 2Heat olive oil in same skillet. Cook asparagus, broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, onion, salt, and saffron in oil, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until onion is tender crisp.
Stir in remaining ingredients and heat all. Pour onto serving plate and serve immediately.
Vegetables should be hot, fresh, and crisp not limp and over-cooked.