Ruthe's Peas and Mushrooms
1 sticksalted butter
1 lbmushrooms, fresh
1 can(s)peas (you can also use frozen or fresh)
·all purpose flour
·water, as needed
How to Make Ruthe's Peas and Mushrooms
- Clean and slice mushrooms approximately 1/4" thick. The best way to clean mushrooms is with a paper towel. Do not wash them! Rub a paper towel over the 'shrooms to loosen any dirt that may be present.
- Dice the onions...your choice of yellow, Spanish or sweet. I use Spanish or yellow. The amount of mushrooms determines the amount of onions. Two onions per pound of mushrooms.
- Over medium heat, saute mushrooms and onions in the butter until the mushrooms are brown.
- Make a slurry out of flour and water and add to the mushroom mixture to slightly thicken the gravy. Add one capful of Kitchen Bouquet and stir to incorporate throughout,
- Drain the peas and add to mushroom mixture. Toss to thoroughly coat with gravy, and simmer a bit to heat through.
- Serve as a side dish or on toast points for an appetizer.