Ruthe's Peas and Mushrooms
How to Make Ruthe's Peas and Mushrooms
- 1Clean and slice mushrooms approximately 1/4" thick. The best way to clean mushrooms is with a paper towel. Do not wash them! Rub a paper towel over the 'shrooms to loosen any dirt that may be present.
- 2Dice the onions...your choice of yellow, Spanish or sweet. I use Spanish or yellow. The amount of mushrooms determines the amount of onions. Two onions per pound of mushrooms.
- 3Over medium heat, saute mushrooms and onions in the butter until the mushrooms are brown.
- 4Make a slurry out of flour and water and add to the mushroom mixture to slightly thicken the gravy. Add one capful of Kitchen Bouquet and stir to incorporate throughout,
- 5Drain the peas and add to mushroom mixture. Toss to thoroughly coat with gravy, and simmer a bit to heat through.
- 6Serve as a side dish or on toast points for an appetizer.