- rutabagas (about 2 pounds) peeled and cubed
- 1/4 c
- butter, unsalted
- 2 Tbsp
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3/4 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- allspice, ground
- 2 large
- eggs, separated
- 2 slice
- brown bread, processed into fine crumbs
How to Make Rutabaga Casserole
- 1Boil cubed rutabaga in a deep saucepan with water to cover for 30-40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- 2Drain well and transfer to a mixer bowl with 2 tablespoons of butter. Mash or whip electric mixer until smooth. Add brown sugar, salt, pepper and allspice.
- 3(Recipe may be prepared up to this point a day or two in advance and refrigerated.)
- 4Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. Beat egg yolks for 3 minutes, or until light.
- 5Stir the egg yolks into the rutabaga mixture, then gently fold in the egg whites.
- 6Transfer to a greased 11"x9" oval gratin dish. Melt remaining butter and combine with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the rutabaga. Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is a deep golden brown.