2rutabagas (about 2 pounds) peeled and cubed
1/4 cbutter, unsalted
2 Tbspbrown sugar, firmly packed
3/4 tspkosher salt
1/2 tspfreshly ground black pepper
1/2 tspallspice, ground
2 largeeggs, separated
2 slicebrown bread, processed into fine crumbs
How to Make Rutabaga Casserole
- Boil cubed rutabaga in a deep saucepan with water to cover for 30-40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Drain well and transfer to a mixer bowl with 2 tablespoons of butter. Mash or whip electric mixer until smooth. Add brown sugar, salt, pepper and allspice.
- (Recipe may be prepared up to this point a day or two in advance and refrigerated.)
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. Beat egg yolks for 3 minutes, or until light.
- Stir the egg yolks into the rutabaga mixture, then gently fold in the egg whites.
- Transfer to a greased 11"x9" oval gratin dish. Melt remaining butter and combine with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the top of the rutabaga. Bake for 1 hour, or until the top is a deep golden brown.