Rotkraut - Red Cabbage
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2 lbred cabbage, shredded
2 Tbspunsalted butter or olive oil
4 Tbspred wine vinegar
·kosher salt to taste
1 cred wine
1 Tbspall purpose flour
How to Make Rotkraut - Red Cabbage
- Wash the red cabbage, remove trunk and cut into fine strips.
- Brown the sugar in the butter until light brown in color. Add the finely chopped onion and apples, peeled and cut into small cubes.
- Sauté for a few minutes. Add the red cabbage and mix everything to combine. Immediately pour a little of the red wine vinegar on the cabbage so it retains the red color.
- Season with salt, add a little of red wine, bay leaves, cloves and steam covered on medium heat until cabbage is tender for about 45 - 60 minutes.
- At the end dust cabbage with some flour, season to taste and add some more red wine and/or vinegar if necessary.