Roasted Sweet Peppers (Pimentos Assados)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From The Food of Portugal by Jean Anderson.
- 8 large
- sweet red peppers (or half red and half green)
- 4 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 4 1/2 tsp
- cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp
- kosher salt or coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp
- crumbled leaf oregano
- 1/4 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Roasted Sweet Peppers (Pimentos Assados)
- 1Preheat the oven to hot (400F.). Wash the peppers well, then lay them on their sides in a large shallow baking pan; bake uncovered 20 minutes, turn the peppers, and bake 15 to 20 minutes longer until the skins look papery and blistered; remove from the oven and cool until easy to handle.
- 2Pull the stems from the peppers, quarter each pepper lengthwise, remove all seeds, then peel off the skins; pat the peppers dry on paper toweling. Arrange a single layer of peppers in a shallow broad-bottomed bowl, drizzle with half the oil and vinegar, then sprinkle with half the salt, oregano, and pepper. Layer the remaining peppers on top, drizzle with the rest of the oil and vinegar, and sprinkle with salt, oregano, and pepper as before.
- 3Cover and marinate at room temperature 3 to 4 hours.
- 4Serve in place of salad.