Refrigerator Pickled Banana or Hot Peppers
I use this for both hot peppers and mild ones like banana peppers.
2 qtbanana peppers or hot peppers such as jalapeno or serrano
3 clovewhite vinegar
2 Tbspkosher salt, not iodized table salt
1 clovegarlic in each jar (optional)
How to Make Refrigerator Pickled Banana or Hot Peppers
- This is my all purpose pepper brine. I pickle peppers as I see enough in the garden. I may do a qt of banana and a pint each of jalapeno and serrano. How far this brine will go depends on how tightly you've packed the peppers. It's easy enough to make more if you need more for what you have. 2 qts is just a general guideline.
- Wash peppers, remove stems, and make 3 or 4 slits in each one. Pack into jars. Add one whole garlic clove to each jar.
- Place vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan and bring to a good boil. We like our peppers a little soft, sort of like the pepperoncini peppers you buy. To get them soft, pour the boiling mixture over them. If you want more crispy peppers, cool it first.
- Your peppers will release air and the level of the brine may go down. Top off with more brine and put on the tops.
- Once jars are cool store in the refrigerator. Try to wait at least 10 days before eating.