Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkraut Mit Apfeln)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Cooking the Austrian Way by Helen Hughes.
1head red cabbage, finely chopped
1 smallonion, peeled, cut into quarters
1 largegreen apple,, cut into quarters
2 Tbspapple cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbspsugar
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1 1/2 Tbspflour
How to Make Red Cabbage with Apples (Rotkraut Mit Apfeln)
- Combine cabbage, onion, cloves, apple, vinegar, 3/4 tbsp. sugar, and oil in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until tender, or 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Add boiling water if needed during cooking to maintain enough water at the bottom of the pan to keep the
food from sticking.
- Sprinkle flour and the rest of sugar over the mixture before serving.