Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
1 largeshallots, chopped fine
2 Tbspolive oil
2celery ribs, chopped fine
3 largecloves garlic minced
1-10 oz. pkgfrozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2-15 oz. can(s)tomatoes, diced, drained and liquid saved
1-15 oz. can(s)black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cquinoa, uncooked (cleaned)
3 largecarrots, grated (1 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cjack cheese, grated, divided
4 largebell peppers, cut in half, seeds and ribs removed
How to Make Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
Add the shallot and celery and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the cumin and garlic and saute one more minute. Stir in the spinach and drained tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes or until most of the liquid has been evaporated.
- Stir in the beans, quinoa, carrots and 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender. Stir in one cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper if you wish.
- Preheat the oven to 350'F. Pour the liquid you saved from the tomatoes into the bottom of the baking dish. Don't get it in the stuffed peppers!
- Fill each pepper half with about 3/4 cup of your quinoa mixture. Place in the baking dish. Once done cover with foil and bake for 1 hours. Uncover and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes more, or until the tops of the peppers are brown and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plates and drizzle with pan juices if you wish.