Puerto Rican Rice with Pigeon Peas
- 8 oz
- Pigeon Peas, dried
- 1 oz
- Salt Pork, cubed
- Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- Olive Oil
- Medium onion, chopped
- Medium Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- Medium Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- Medium tomato, chopped
- 1 c
- 1 pkg
- Ham chunks
- 10 oz
- Green olives, pitted
- 1 Tbsp
- Annatto powder or 1 tbsp Annatto oil
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Onion Powder and Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 - 3
- Bay leaves
How to Make Puerto Rican Rice with Pigeon Peas
- 1In a large rice pot saute cubed salt pork and ham cubes in olive oil.
- 2Add onion and peppers to meat and saute. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 3Add diced tomato, bay leaves, dried pigeon peas, and 1 1/2 cup of water. Simmer covered on low for another 15 minutes til peas are tender. Almost all of the liquid should be gone.
- 4Stir in Annatto powder or oil. Add in the olives.
- 5Add rice to pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, stir, cover and simmer for 25 minuttes. Add salt and season to taste
- 6Let stand for 5 minutes before taking off the lid, remove bay leaves and serve with fresh salsa.