Recipe & photo: germanfood.about.com
- 6 medium
- 1 large
- (or 2 smaller) leeks
- 2 c
- heavy cream
- 2 tsp
- bouillon granules (or 2 cubes); chicken, beef, or vegetable
- 4 oz
- shredded gruyere cheese
- 1 pinch
- freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch
- freshly ground pepper
How to Make POTATO-LEEK GRATIN
- 1Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch cubes to make about 5 to 6 cups. Clean and chop leek to make about 2 cups.
- 2Place potatoes in a single layer in a large non-stick skillet. Sprinkle leeks on top.
- 3In a medium bowl, mix the cream and bouillon together, heating for a few seconds in microwave, if necessary, to dissolve. Pour over potatoes.
- 4Bring potatoes and leeks to a boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes, then remove cover and let the potatoes simmer until all liquids are absorbed. This could take about 1-1/2 hours over low heat.
- 5When potatoes are done, sprinkle cheese over all, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with nutmeg and pepper, and serve.
- 6You may serve as soon as the potatoes are done, or you may cook until crisp on the bottom. Salt to taste.