Pickled Okra - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
Fun to eat right out of the jar. Or serve as a side or with a sandwich.
NOTE: I doubled the liquid ingredients and okra. The original recipe calls for 3 lbs okra, 3 cups white vineage, 3 cups water and 6 tbsp plain salt. I used pickling salt instead of plain salt.
Hope you enjoy!
- 6 to 7 lb
- 6 c
- white vinegar
- 6 c
- 1 c
- pickling salt
- 1 dill flowerrette, 1 tsp dill seed or 1/4 tsp dried dill per jar
- 1 hot peppers, or 1/8 tsp pepper flakes per jar
- 1 garlic cloves per jar
How to Make Pickled Okra - Dee Dee's
- 1Wash okra several times; drain well. Cut stems if necessary but do NOT cut into the okra pod.
- 2Pack okra into hot sterilized jars.
- 3To each jar, add 1 dill flowerette, 1 tsp dill seed or 1/4 tsp dried dill. NOTE: I used the dry dill as fresh dill was not available. Add a hot pepper pod and 1 clove of fresh garlic to each jar; set aside. NOTE: today I used 1/8 tsp of hot pepper flakes in place of pepper pods. I prefer hot pepper pods but none were available.
- 4Combine vinegar, water and salt together in a pot and bring to a full boil. Pour over okra, seal jars at once.
- 5Place packed and sealed jars in to a hot water bath; bring to a full boil. Boil 5 minutes for pints or 7 minutes for quarts.