Pickled Okra - Dee Dee's
Fun to eat right out of the jar. Or serve as a side or with a sandwich.
NOTE: I doubled the liquid ingredients and okra. The original recipe calls for 3 lbs okra, 3 cups white vineage, 3 cups water and 6 tbsp plain salt. I used pickling salt instead of plain salt.
Hope you enjoy!
6 to 7 lbokra
6 cwhite vinegar
1 cpickling salt
·1 dill flowerrette, 1 tsp dill seed or 1/4 tsp dried dill per jar
·1 hot peppers, or 1/8 tsp pepper flakes per jar
·1 garlic cloves per jar
How to Make Pickled Okra - Dee Dee's
- Wash okra several times; drain well. Cut stems if necessary but do NOT cut into the okra pod.
- Pack okra into hot sterilized jars.
- To each jar, add 1 dill flowerette, 1 tsp dill seed or 1/4 tsp dried dill. NOTE: I used the dry dill as fresh dill was not available. Add a hot pepper pod and 1 clove of fresh garlic to each jar; set aside. NOTE: today I used 1/8 tsp of hot pepper flakes in place of pepper pods. I prefer hot pepper pods but none were available.
- Combine vinegar, water and salt together in a pot and bring to a full boil. Pour over okra, seal jars at once.
- Place packed and sealed jars in to a hot water bath; bring to a full boil. Boil 5 minutes for pints or 7 minutes for quarts.