Pennsylvania German -Style Broccoli
This dish can also be made with frozen broccoli.Use two ten-ounce packages of whole broccoli spears,thawed and well drained,but not steamed
1 lbbroccoli, fresh
1 mediumred bell pepper
1/2 ccider vinegar
4 tspmustard, spicy brown
1/2 tspblack pepper
2 Tbspvegetable oil
How to Make Pennsylvania German -Style Broccoli
- In a medium skillet,cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp,about 10 minutes.Drain the bacon on paper towels,crumble and set aside.Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan,set the pan aside.
- Meanwhile,cut the broccoli into bite-size pieces.steam the broccoli pieces until tey are crisp tender,about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile,coarsely chop the scallions and bell pepper and place them in a serving bowl
- Add the cooked broccoli to the serving bowl.
- Warm the bacon fatin the skillet over medium heat.Add the vinegar,mustard,sugar,salt and black pepper.Cook,stirring constantly to scrape up the pan drippings.Remove from the heat and stir in the oil.Pour the hot dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle the crumbled bacon over the broccoli and serve