PEGGI'S DEEP FRIED MOREL MUSHROOMS
Peggi Anne Tebben
We hunt these every spring & really enjoy them.
Use as an appetizer or a side dish.
1/4 tsp*cayenne pepper
1/2 tspblack pepper
1/4 tspdried oregano
1/8 tspdried thyme
1/2 citalian cracker crumbs
***I MAKE UP 10 BATCHES OF THE DRY INGREDIENTS & KEEP IN GALLON ZIPLOCK BAG IN THE FREEZER
1 1/2 cmilk
How to Make PEGGI'S DEEP FRIED MOREL MUSHROOMS
- Cut morels in half lengthwise & place in warm salt water to soak. This not only cleans & removes bugs & sand, but reconstitutes any that have dried some.
- Mix all dry ingredients in large ziplock bag. Set aside.
- Mix egg & milk in another bowl.
- Take mushrooms out of water a few at a time & dip in egg mix, then in dry mix.
- Shake off excess & drop in deep fryer that the oil is heated to about 325°- 350° or high heat. Fry on one side until dark, then flip & finish frying the other side.
- Note: If you have a batter pro bowl for breading, that's what I use.
- Drain on paper towel. They should be crisp & stay crisp.
- * I recommend adding a little more cayenne if you like the zip in it. I can't do real hot any more. It's great either way.