Pear and Caramelized Onion Pizzette
- 1 medium
- sweet onion
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 6 medium
- pita bread
- 3 large
- peras, ripe but firm
- 1/8 tsp
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- 3 Tbsp
- fresh chopped thyme, divided
- 1/2 lb
- gruyere (you can also use a mixture of your favourite cheeses, grated.)
How to Make Pear and Caramelized Onion Pizzette
- 1Peel and thinly slice onion. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onions. Lower heat as needed and saute, stirring often for 15-20 minutes or until wilted and golden.
- 2Peel, core and thinly slice pears. When onions are golden, stir in salt and pepper; remove from pan.
- 3Add butter to pan; return to medium heat.
- 4When bubbly, add pears and saute for 8-12 minutes, turning frequently until softened and lightly browned. Cool on plate.
- 5Lay out your pitas, and spread a small amount of grated cheese on each.
- 6Dividing equally, spread each round with onion, then add pear and thyme. Top with remaining cheese, and a little more freshly ground black pepper.
- 7Bake 10-12 minutes, or until pizzettes are golden. Serve right away, whole or cut in half topped with a sprinkling of thyme.