Overnight Refrigerator Onion-Cucumber Pickles
When vidalias and cucumbers were in season, my mom always had a bowl of this in the fridge. Sometimes she'd also put sliced red radishes in it, too.
- 2 cups thinly sliced cucumbers (peeled or unpeeled - up to you.)
- 1 med. sweet onion, sliced (i use vidalia)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 – 2 garlic cloves cut in quarters (optional)
How to Make Overnight Refrigerator Onion-Cucumber Pickles
- 1Over medium heat, mix water, vinegar, sugar, and salt until the sugar and salt have dissolved. Pour into a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- 2Add garlic, if using, cucumbers and onions to the water/vinegar mixture. The cucumbers and onions should be covered with the brine mixture. If you want to make a larger batch make up more brine to add.
- 3Place the mixture in covered container(s) in the refrigerator, allowing flavors to blend together overnight.
- 4These can be stored in the fridge up to two weeks. When small cucumbers and sweet onions are in season, I will make up a batch of these on the weekends and enjoy them all the coming week.