ORZO AND RICE PILAF--BONNIE'S
The photo is my own. Recipe adapted from Gourmet.
- cup orzo
- cup long-grain white rice
- medium onion finely chopped
- carrots 1/4 inch dice
- ribs of celery 1/4 inch dice
- garlic cloves finely chopped
- cup water
- 1 3/4
- cups chicken broth
- cup chopped fresh italian parsley
- tablespoon olive oil
- tablespoon unsalted real butter
- teaspoon salt or more to taste
- teaspoon pepper or to taste
- small zuchini if desired, 1/4 inch dice (1 1/4 cups)
- cup slivered almonds toasted
How to Make ORZO AND RICE PILAF--BONNIE'S
You will need a deep 12 inch skillet preferably with a glass lid that fits tightly.
- 2PREPARE THE VEGETABLES
Chop the onions, carrots, celery and garlic, parsley and zucchini if desired.
- 3SAUTE THE VEGETABLES
Heat the oil and butter in the skillet over medium heat, then saute the orzo, stirring it constantly until it is golden brown about one minute. Add the prepared vegetables (except the parsley and zucchini) and add the salt and pepper. Stir until the onion is lightly browned, then add the rice, saute and stir until coated with oil and butter.
- 4COOK THE RICE
Add the broth and the water and bring to a boil, lower the heat to low and cook covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Avoid removing the lid and letting the steam escape. Remove from heat and quickly stir in the zucchini, and let it stand 5 minutes. Zucchini will steam. Then stir in the parsley and serve sprinkled with toasted almonds. Enjoy!