Orange and Fennel Salad
In our house all of our holiday menus included fresh fennel and we would eat it like celery in between courses to refresh the palate.
I was asked to bring a salad of my choice to Thanksgiving dinner one year and here it is!
My entire family loved it; refreshing, crisp and lively, it awakens your tastebuds.
- 2 lb
- fresh fennel bulbs
- 3 to 4
- 1/4 c
- good olive oil
- fresh lemons, juiced
- 1/8 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 oz
- 1 tsp
- dried basil
- 1 Tbsp
- smuckers brand strawberry ice cream topping
How to Make Orange and Fennel Salad
- 1First Cut the tops off of the fennel bulbs and reserve some of the fine fronds for decoration.
- 2Cut each fennel bulb in half and remove the core end with the tip of a sharp knife.
- 3Fit a food processor with the thinnest slicing blade and cut the fennel bulb into wedges and place them horizontally in the feed tube. Process them in small batches so that they are thinly sliced.
- 4Peel the oranges and remove the white pith with a knife. Slice the oranges and set aside.
- 5Make the dressing by whisking the oil, juice of the lemons, dried basil and strawberry sauce together well.
- 6Place the fennl slices, the orange slices and the arugula in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat well. Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper and toss again. - SERVE