This is a rich dish, but oh, so yummy! I will be making it soon, no need to wait for a holiday.
The original recipe called for 1/4 cup minced fresh dill, which was a little overpowering to me. I've reduced the measurement by half for dried dill.
2 largeonions, sliced thin
8 ozcheddar cheese, shredded
8 ozsour cream
1 1/2 Tbspdill, dried
8 1/2 ozcornbread mix
14 1/2 ozcream-style corn
4 dash(es)tabasco sauce
How to Make Onion Shortcake
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Butter a 2 1/2 quart baking dish. In a large skillet, melt the 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until softened, about 5-6 min.
- Remove from heat and stir in 4 oz (about 1 cup) of the cheese. Add the sour cream, dill and salt, stirring until just combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the egg. Stir in the cornbread mix, corn milk and Tabasco. Spread this mixture in the buttered baking dish. Add the cheese mixture, and top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly.
- To make ahead, assemble without baking, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Bake for 40-45 min until golden and bubbly.