Onion Salad (Zibelsalat)
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
From Easy Menu Cooking the Swiss Way, Helga Hughes.
4yellow onions, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick (about 1 lb.)
1 Tbspwhole wheat flour
2 Tbspcider vinegar
2 Tbspfresh chives, chopped
How to Make Onion Salad (Zibelsalat)
- In a bowl, sprinkle onion slices with salt and pepper.
- Using 2 forks, mix well and separate onion slices into separate rings.
- Place bacon and onion rings in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook until bacon is crisp and onions are light brown (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle with flour, stirring gently so flour coats onions.
- Add vinegar and sugar. Cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Before serving, sprinkle with chives.