Okra with Tomatoes & Onions1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2 lbfresh young okra
3/4 lbonions, sliced thickly
6 Tbspolive oil
3garlic cloves, halved
1 oztomatoes, skinned, sliced
·salt and pepper
1lemon, juice only
How to Make Okra with Tomatoes & Onions
- Wash okra.
- Cut off any hard stems and dry okra thoroughly.
- Heat oil in large saucepan and fry onions with the halved garlic cloves until slightly soft, transparent, and golden.
- Add okra and continue to fry until slightly softened.
- Add the sliced tomatoes and saute for a few minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until the okra is very tender, usually about 1 hour.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- (If using canned okra, cooking time will be much shorter.)
- Serve hot or cold.
- If to be served cold, allow to cool in the saucepan before turning out into a serving dish.