Okra with Tomatoes & Onions1
By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 lb
- fresh young okra
- 3/4 lb
- onions, sliced thickly
- 6 Tbsp
- olive oil
- garlic cloves, halved
- 1 oz
- tomatoes, skinned, sliced
- salt and pepper
- lemon, juice only
How to Make Okra with Tomatoes & Onions
- 1Wash okra.
- 2Cut off any hard stems and dry okra thoroughly.
- 3Heat oil in large saucepan and fry onions with the halved garlic cloves until slightly soft, transparent, and golden.
- 4Add okra and continue to fry until slightly softened.
- 5Add the sliced tomatoes and saute for a few minutes longer.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until the okra is very tender, usually about 1 hour.
- 8Squeeze in the lemon juice and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- 9(If using canned okra, cooking time will be much shorter.)
- 10Serve hot or cold.
- 11If to be served cold, allow to cool in the saucepan before turning out into a serving dish.