- 1+ lb
- fresh okra (large pods)
- 8 oz
- grated monterrey jack cheese
- 1 medium
- jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 medium
- white onion
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 large
- 2/3 c
- oil for frying
How to Make OKRA POPPERS (SALLYE)
- 1Cut jalapeno in half and remove stem and seeds, place in food processor
Peel 1/2 onion and cut into chunks and place in food processor with jalapeno
Pulse until finely minced
Mix cheese and jalapeno/onion mixture together
- 2Wash okra and pat dry
Slit okra pods lengthwise to make a pocket
NOTE: Be careful not to slit all the way through
Push the okra seeds aside and stuff each pod with cheese mixture
- 3Prepare batter as follows:
Slightly beat egg in medium mixing bowl
Add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and garlic powder to egg and blend, adding milk as you stir.
Do not overstir as this will activate the baking powder before you are ready
Dip each okra pod into batter
Make sure each pod is covered completely
- 4Over medium high heat, using a deep dutch oven or heavy saucepan (I use my wok) add enough cooking oil to come about 2-3" up on sides of pan. It needs to be deep enough to cover the okra pods.
When oil is shimmering, drop okra pods one at time into the oil.
Do not crowd the pan, you will probably have to cook 3-4 at a time to allow plenty of room.
Turn once in oil, and when pods are golden brown all over, remove from oil and set on paper towel to drain.
Note: This usually only takes a few minutes so you can't leave unattended
- 5Serve with dip of your choice. I have listed a few suggestions in the comments below.