Not Just Paula's Best Braised SouthernGreens
- 8 slice
- bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 pieces
- 1 medium
- vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 8 Tbsp
- butter (no margarine)
- 2 lb
- collard greens (or other greens), stems removed and leaves cut into 1/2 in strips
- 2-3 small
- ham hock, smoked
- seasoning salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- garlic powder
How to Make Not Just Paula's Best Braised SouthernGreens
- 1Rinse hocks,put in large saucepan and fill with water making sure to cover hocks completely. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for about 2-3 hrs or until completely done. Remove from stove and put in strainer running water over to rinse off some of the grease. Let drain and sit aside.
(Helpful Hint) I usually take out as many bones as I can.
- 2In a large saucepan, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and butter and cook until the onion is tender, about 5-10 minutes longer.
(Helpful Hint) Make sure you cook bacon in saucepan not skillet.
- 3Add 2 cups of water and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the ham hocks and collard greens and cook, uncovered until very soft, stirring occassionally about 20 minutes.
- 4Reduce heat to low, cover and continue to let cook about 2-3 hrs (longer if needed). Season with seasoned salt (I reecommend Lowery's), garlic powder and black pepper. Continue cooking (stirring occassionally) adding water as needed until desired consistency is reached.
(Helpful Hint) I usually sprinkle some crushed red peppers for a spicier version.