New Years Day Black Eyed Peas-Annette's
Recipe and picture are my own.
How to Make New Years Day Black Eyed Peas-Annette's
- 1Chop your bacon. I do mine while it's still frozen as it's much easier to cut this way. Over medium high heat start to cook it in a sauce pan big enough to hold all the ingredients. Remember, you're only going to drain one of the cans of black eyed peas.
- 2Chop your onions and add to the bacon after it's rendered for about 5-8 minutes. Cook bacon and onion until bacon is almost crisp, and onions have softened. Then add your garlic and stir well to keep it from burning.
- 3If your bacon produces A LOT of bacon grease then drain some of it off, otherwise leave it in the pan. You want to cook your black eyed peas in most of it. When I fix mine, there is only about 1/4 cup of bacon grease left so I do not drain any of it.
- 4Pour your 4 cans of black eyed peas into the bacon, onion and garlic mixture. Stir well. Add the black pepper. Bring to a slow boil for about 5 minutes stirring frequently to make sure they do not scorch the bottom of the pan but careful not to break the peas up or turn them to mush.
- 5Turn the burner to low or simmer depending how hot your burners are and simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally. The liquid should evaporate some while the peas absorb all the flavor from the bacon mixture. They should thicken slightly.
- 6Serve hot and enjoy! YUM!