Nana's Fried Cabbage
I actually make this when we're camping, and everyone around wants a plate of it. It has become a favorite comfort food.
- 1/2 medium
- head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 large
- onions, yellow, chopped
- 1 3/4 Tbsp
- olive oil, light
- 2 c
- pace picante sauce
- 1 1/4 c
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
How to Make Nana's Fried Cabbage
- 1In a large (12" or larger) skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat and add onions, then the cabbage. Lightly salt and then cover the skillet.
- 2Allow the cabbage to "sweat and wilt" - the onions will be clear, and the cabbage will be translucent when done. You may want to stir gently with a wooden spatula to keep either cabbage or onions from sticking.
- 3Add Pace Picante sauce - your choice of "heat" - mild, medium or hot. When thoroughly heated, turn off heat, sprinkle cheese over top of the mixture and cover again until cheese is melted. Serve.