★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 lb
- peppered bacon
- 1 large
- onion chopped
- 4 bunch
- each turnip greens, mustard greens fresh
- 2 tsp
- each seasoning salt and black pepper
How to Make Mustard and Turnip Greens
- 1tear or cut greens from large stems. discard thick stems.
- 2wash greens, soak greens, wash greens, rinse greens. Make sure greens are washed good.I cannot stress enough to CLEAN AND WASH greens well. Sand does not dissolve in cooking !!!
- 3In very large stock pot. place bacon that has been cut into 1 inch squares along with chopped onion and over medium high heat, cook until bacon is crisp and onion is transluscent. do not drain bacon drippings.
- 4squeeze water by hand out of greens and put a handful at a time into hot pan. keep pan on medium heat as you do this until all greens are in pan. they will wilt down as they cook.
- 5once greens are wilted down and bubbling, turn heat down and add seasonings. stirring occassionally.
- 6cover and simmer over medium low heat until greens are tender. about 30 minutes.