Microwave Bread and Butter Pickles
Schelley Brown Francis
1 largecucumber, sliced about 1/8" thick or bigger
1 smallonion, thinly sliced
1/2 tspmustard seed
1 cwhite sugar
1/2 cdistilled white vinegar
1/4 tspcelery seed
1/4 tspground turmeric
How to Make Microwave Bread and Butter Pickles
- Wash and slice cucumbers. Slice thicker than dills. I use a ridged pickle slicer and it is great!
- In a large microwave safe bowl mix, salt, onion, mustard seeds, white sugar, vinegar, celery seed and turmeric. Stir until all is mixed together and sugar is starting to melt.
- Add your cucumbers to this mixture. I judge how many cucumbers to add by how well the mixture covers the contents of bowl. I double the recipe if I have a lot of cucumbers to do.
- Place in Microwave on high for 7 to 8 minutes and few longer if you double the recipe. You will need to stir at least once during the cooking. Don't cook them too long you want a little crunch to them.
- Take them out of microwave and let them cool a bit before you place them in sterile jars and then place in fridge until serving. This will make one or two jars of pickles.
- If I am doing a lot of cucumbers I cut up my cucumbers and let them soak in water and in a large bowl mix up the ingredients mixture and then add onions and cucumbers. I then pour that mixture into another bowl to cook and repeat so I have some already mixed and ready to cook when one batch comes out of microwave.