Mellina's Smokin' Brussels Sprouts
Blue Ribbon Recipe
These are smokin' good sprouts! There's a tang from the lemon that pairs beautifully with the light smokiness from the pork and slivered garlic. Red peppers add flavor and a bit of texture to this tasty side dish. The caramelization of the Brussels sprouts is the true charm of this dish. It adds a savory sweetness that's rich and delicious. A fantastic recipe.
Note: Mellina suggests substituting bacon for the pork butt which we did for testing. If you don't have smoked pork butt, it's a delicious substitute. The Test Kitchen
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- garlic cloves, cut into slivers
- red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 lb
- Brussels sprouts, cut into halves
- 1 tsp
- onion powder
- lemon, sliced
- 2 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
- 3/4 c
- chicken broth
- 1/2 c
- smoked pork butt, cut into 1/2" pieces (can substitute 4 slices cooked bacon)
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make Mellina's Smokin' Brussels Sprouts
- 8Heat chicken broth in a large frying pan (I use a chicken fryer). Take veggies out of oven and discard the lemon slices. Put veggies in pan with chicken broth and top with the 4 tablespoons of butter. Add cubes of smoked pork butt OR bacon. Re-season with salt and pepper and stir to coat all veggies with butter and broth mixture.
- 10Alternate: You can use 4 slices of crisp bacon instead of smoked pork butt. You can also eliminate the meat and it will still be delicious.