Mashed Turnips with Sage
1 mediumpot of cold water (enough to cover the turnips, potato & onion
1/4 ckosher salt (to put in pot of cold water
5 mediumturnips: peeled & cubed
1 largerusset potato: peeled & cubed
1/2 largeyellow onion: chopped into small pieces
4 Tbspbutter: melted
2 Tbspfresh sage: roughly chopped
1/2 cmilk (i use 2%)
·kosher salt & ground pepper to taste
How to Make Mashed Turnips with Sage
- Most importantly before you even gather your ingredients put on your beautiful JUST A PINCH APRON to set you in the right mood to cook!!
- In a medium pot place COLD WATER (enough to cover the turnips and potatoes)& 1/4 c kosher salt. Stir until kosher salt is dissolved. Bring water to a boil.
- While the water is heating to a boil peel & cube the TURNIPS & POTATO. Small chop 1/2 the onion.
- Place the TURNIPS, POTATO, & ONION in the boiling pot of water. Cover the pot leaving the lid so air can escape. Boil for 5 minutes then reduce to medium high heat. Cook until all is soft. Remove from the heat.
- In a small sauce pan melt the BUTTER. Once the butter is melted add the SAGE and the MILK, cook until milk is warm.
- Drain the pot of turnips, potato & onion of all water. Return turnips, potato & onion to the pot. Pour the milk, butter & sage mixture over the turnips, potato & onion. Roughly mash...this is not meant to be a smooth dish. Add KOSHER SALT & GROUND PEPPER to taste and stir until well blended.
- Place in a serving bowl with serving spoon. Garnish with 2 tablespoons of melted butter just poured on top.