Mary's "Deli Slaw"
It went like this: 4 to 5 cups finely chopped or shredded Cabbage (approximately 1 whole small head)
1 cup white vinegar and 1 cup sugar. Mix together well in a bowl, put a lid on it and chill overnight.
I suggested to a friend, we could try the same method as Helene Mulvihill for her "Deli Mac Salad".
She boils the vinegar and sugar until the sugar dissolves into the vinegar.
My friends, Mary, said, "Hey Cin I make this slaw all the time 'except' I use a few more ingredients".
I call it: Mary's "Deli Slaw"
1 cwhite vinegar
1 tspmustard seed
1 tspcelery seed
1 smallhead of cabbage (chopped or shredded)
2 stickcarrot (finely chop or julienne)
1/2 csweet onion (finely chopped or grated)
1/2 cgreen bell pepper (diced)
How to Make Mary's "Deli Slaw"
- Chopped, shred, julienne, grate or dice....your cabbage, carrots, onion, green bell pepper and place in a bowl that has a tight fitting lid.
- In a heavy bottom saucepan heat vinegar and sugar over medium until sugar totally dissolves.
- Add in salt, mustard and celery seeds. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Then pour over slaw mixture, mix thoroughly and store in container, (glass covered bowl will do).
- Place in refrigerator to chill, stir when ready to serve.
- This will last a long time in the refrigerator, and is a good alternative slaw to take on a summer picnic because it does not have any mayonnaise in it.
- It's great just as a side dish or can be put on any kind of barbecued sandwiches, such as pork or beef.
- It taste much better the next day, or make it early that morning and enjoy for supper.
- This recipe has been in our family for years.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we always have.