Maple whipped sweet potatoes with caramelized onio
- four large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into rough chunks
- 1/4 cup +2 tablespoons pure grade b. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- one large vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced
How to Make Maple whipped sweet potatoes with caramelized onio
- 1preheat the oven to 375°.
- 2Put the sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup Maple syrup, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper in a large mixing bowl. Toss to evenly coat and transfer to a baking sheet. Roast in the oven until the sweet potatoes are soft, 35 to 40 minutes. Check on them after 15 minutes and stir, if needed.
- 3Meanwhile, melt the butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil together in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions and 2 tablespoons maple syrup and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is deep Golden Brown, about 10 minutes, adding water, a tablespoon at a time, if the skillet gets too dry. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- 4Transfer the sweet potatoes to a food processor and add a tablespoon of hot water. Pulse until just blended and then add half the caramelized onion. Pulse a few more seconds to incorporate the onion. For a very smooth puree, add another tablespoon of water and run the machine for one minute. Fold in the remaining caramelized onion, reserving some for garnish. Serve in warm dish and garnish with reserved caramelized onion. Serves four