Little Spiders (Fried Shredded Plantains)
Plantains are showing up in more and more supermarkets. There are two types of plantains - green plantains resemble a large green banana, with a thick skin, and are a starchy vegetable rather than a fruit. Yellow and black plantains are the sweet varieties with the more black on the skin, the sweeter the plantain.
- green plantains, medium
- 5 clove
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil for frying
- 4 Tbsp
- 4 Tbsp
OPTIONAL DIPPING SAUCE
How to Make Little Spiders (Fried Shredded Plantains)
- 1To peel the plantains start bu slicing off both ends. Cut a lengthwise slit through the plantain, cutting only as deep as the peel. Then insert the edge of the knife closest to the handle into the slit and lift way the peel. The peel may come off in sections. Use your knife to scrape away any remnants of peel from the plantain.
- 2Coarsely grate the plantains using the grater attachment on your food processor or a hand grater.
- 3Place the grated plantain in a bowl of salted water and soak for 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, mince the garlic cloves.
- 5Drain the grated plantain and dry with paper towels.
- 6Mix the grated plantain with the garlic and add salt & pepper to taste. You can omit the salt and/or sprinkle it on after they are cooked.
- 7Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat and add the grated plantains by scooping spoonfuls into the fryer.
- 8Fry the plantains for about 5 minutes until golden and drain on paper towels.
- 9To make the optional dipping sauce: mix the ketchup & mayonnaise together and serve with the little spiders.