greens. I would rather have a tooth pulled out. But my daughter in law whipped up a batch that smelled scrumptious, and the first time I tried them I was hooked. She was an incredible cook, and later went on to become a chef at Disney World. She shared her secret with me and to this day everyone that has tried them can't get enough.
- 1 bunch
- fresh collard greens
- 4 clove
- garlic, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small
- onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp
- knorr's tomato flavored chicken broth
- 4 slice
- thick bacon
- 3 c
- 1 Tbsp
- garlic powder (optional)
How to Make Kickin' Collards
- 1Rinse collard greens thoroughly in cold water. Remove stalk, tear leaves into large pieces, set aside. Rinse again and drain.
- 2Cook bacon until crisp. When it's cool to the touch, crumble into chunks. Save drippings
- 3In a large pot add olive oil over medium heat, add garlic and saute until garlic is light golden color. Add collard leaves and toss until wilted, stirring constantly. Add bacon drippings and you may add garlic powder if you like, and keep tossing until all the leaves are wilted and dark green color.
- 4Add 2 tablespoons of Knorr's Tomato flavored Chicken broth which you can usually find in the Latin section of most grocery stores.
- 5Add 3 cups of water, diced onions, and bacon crumbles. Cover pot and bring to a slow boil, then reduce heat and cook until done, the leaves will be a dark olive green in color.