Jen's Deep Fried Cajun Okra
1-2 lbokra, fresh or frozen (whole or cut)
5 ccanola oil, for frying
1 cyellow cornmeal
1/2 call purpose flour
2 Tbspcajun seasoning
1/2 tspblack pepper
1/2 tspkosher salt
1 tspgarlic powder
4-6 dash(es)hot pepper sauce
How to Make Jen's Deep Fried Cajun Okra
- If using whole fresh okra, wash thoroughly, drain, and cut stems off. You can slice them in half length wise or slice them into 1/2 inch rounds. Frozen cut okra saves time. Place in bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. (You may not need to use this much oil; do not fill the pan more than halfway up the sides with oil.) Get a cookie sheet and line with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, black pepper, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl add buttermilk and hot pepper sauce. Whisk together
- Dip okra in buttermilk and then dredge in cornmeal-flour mixture to coat well.
- Carefully add okra to the HOT oil and cook until golden brown. (It may be necessary to fry the okra in batches.)
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, and then serve immediately with favorite dipping sauce.