I Can't Believe I Love Brussel Sprouts
- 3-4 lb
- brussel sprouts, sliced thin
- 1 lb
- bacon, fried crisp and chopped with fat reserved
- 1/2 large
- onion, any color
- 1/2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/4-1/2 c
- wine - as needed
- 1 c
- toasted almonds
- 1 can(s)
- water chestnuts (small or large can to your preference)
- balsamic vinegar glaze
- 1/2 tsp
- salt (to taste - you may prefer a little less)
- 1/2 tsp
- fresh ground pepper
How to Make I Can't Believe I Love Brussel Sprouts
- 1Wash brussels; slice parallel to the core so you have nice round slices (throw core out). Heat bacon fat in a large pan (bacon fat should cover the bottom well but not look like you're deep frying) to a nice sizzle (not too hot though - a drop of water should sizzle, not explode!). Cook onion until browned, add garlic and cook another 1-2 minutes - remove from pan being careful to leave as much bacon fat in the pan as possible. Carefully drop brussels in by handfuls and cook until a nice golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. When well drained, put in a serving dish (I recommend a large-ish square one instead of a deep round one).
- 2Drain water chestnuts well and pat dry. Place in pan and saute' until nicely browned - they should now have yummy caramelized pieces of onion and brussel sprouts coating them! Remove them from the pan. Pour wine into pan to deglaze, scraping all leftover bits up. Pour over brussel sprouts. Add water chestnuts, onion/garlic, salt and pepper to sprouts and mix well. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and top with toasted almonds and bacon.
- 3Watch your guests' jaws drop when they realize that they're real live brussel sprout lovers!