1 largehead green cabbage cored and chopped
1 bunchgreen onions
2 mediumcarrots thinly sliced
1/3 ckosher salt
2-4 Tbspkorean chili flakes
12 clovegarlic minced
3inch piece fresh ginger grated
2 tspfish sauce
2 Tbspwhite miso paste
·unsweetened apple juice
How to Make Homemade Kimchi
- Place the cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Sprinkle the salt over the top and massage it into the veggies. Fill with cold water and let sit for 2 hours. Drain the cabbage mixture.
- Cut the dark green parts of the green onions off and mince. Set aside. Place the white and light green parts of the green onions in a food processor.
- Add the garlic, ginger, miso paste, and Korean chili flakes. Process until well incorporated. Add the fish sauce and apple juice and process until it looks like a thin pancake batter.
- Stir the dark green parts of the green onions into the cabbage mixture. Pour the garlic paste over the cabbage mixture and massage it well.
- Cram the mixture in 4 to 5 pint jars pressing it down making it super tight. Place the lids on the jars and set them on rimmed baking sheet. Let sit at room temp for 72 hours once a day press the cabbage mixture down with a spoon letting the bubbles rise to the top and release the gas.
- Refrigerate after three days. The longer it sits the stronger it gets.