Helaine's Stuffed Squash
Ingredient amounts do not matter. As you read recipe you'll see why. You can't go wrong. One squash makes two halves so makes either 1 or 2 servings per person.
These stuffed squash can make a nice appetizer as well. You make as many as you want by using more squash and other ingredients.
- yellow squash, sliced in half and scooped out and saved
- or more onions, chopped (i like vidalia.)
- bread crumbs
- parmesan cheese
- butter or oil for sauteeing
- fresh or dried garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Helaine's Stuffed Squash
- 1What you stuff the squash with will already be cooked so I suggest you either slightly bake the shell halves of squash in the microwave or preheated oven at about 350 degrees, just enough to get the cooking started. (You do not want them too soft; crisp-tender is the desireable since it will cook longer once they are stuffed.
- 2Scoop out the pulp of squashes that have been sliced in half. While the squash halves/shells are baking, (Watch them carefully so you don't over bake them.) chop the scooped-out-pulp of the squash as small as you can to resemble the rather finely chopped onions.
- 3Sautee the onions and chopped onions in the butter or oil. When onions are milky, add the garlic, parmesan, bread crumbs and salt and pepper to taste. When the mixture looks like "stuffing" it is ready.
- 4When the squash is ready and cooled enough to handle, stuff them with the mixture.
Bake just enough in the oven again for the tops to brown slightly for eye appeal.
- 5Tip: You can also top these with your favorite cheese the last 30 to 60 seconds.