GREEN BEANS DONE DIFFERENTLY
1 lbsliced bacon
6 can(s)whole green beans
1 largeyellow or white onion
LIQUIDS FOR EACH CAN OF GREEN BEANS
3 Tbspbacon drippings
3 Tbspwhite vinegar
3 Tbspsugar (i sometimes use splenda)
How to Make GREEN BEANS DONE DIFFERENTLY
- For the liquid for each can of green beans, dissolve the sugar or Splenda before adding the bacon drippings.
- Cut bacon into 1/2 inch bits and cook in a skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Use the grease for the liquid described above.
- Slice onion into 1/4 inch rings. Place in a microwave dish, put 2 tablespoons butter on top and cook until translucent.
- Open all cans of green beans, drain and discard liquid. Dump 3 cans of green beans into crock-pot.
- Place 1/2 of the bacon and 1/2 of the sauteed onions on top of the green beans.
- Put remaining 3 cans of green beans in crock-pot and top with the remaining bacon and onions.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the green beans. Cover and cook on low for a couple of hours then gently stir the mixture, recover and cook for another hour or so, depending on how hot your low setting is on your crock-pot.
- I sometimes add a small package of toasted almonds with the layers of onion and bacon.
- The cook time is for the crock-pot method.