Green Bean Fries
Cindi M Bauer
About 9 ozof fresh green beans (extra large in size)
1/2 cmilk (i used 2% milk)
1/2 call-purpose flour
3/4 cplain (or) italian style bread crumbs
1/2 tspgarlic powder
1/8 tsponion powder
·vegetable oil, or shortening, or lard (use for deep frying)
·dipping sauce: i used hidden valley ranch salad dressing
How to Make Green Bean Fries
- Fill a large bowl half-way, with water and lots of ice, then set bowl aside.
- In a shallow bowl beat together, the egg and milk.
- Place flour in another shallow bowl, or one 8 (or) 9-inch pan.
- Combine bread crumbs and seasonings into a 3rd shallow bowl, or one 8 (or) 9-inch pan.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil the green beans in water for about 5 minutes, then place par-boiled beans in ice water for a few seconds, to stop the cooking process. Remove beans from the ice water; shake off excess water, then place beans on a plate, and set beans aside.
- Coat beans (one at a time) with flour, then dip beans in the egg/milk mixture, and then coat the beans with the bread crumb mixture. Place beans on a plate until all are coated.
- Add vegetable oil, or shortening, or lard, into a heavy skillet or a deep fryer. (Use enough to cover the beans, about 1-1/2 inches.) Heat the oil, shortening, or lard to 350º. Fry beans until they're golden brown, about 1 minute & 45 seconds.
- Place paper toweling onto a plate or serving dish. Then place fried beans on paper toweling. Let fried beans cool slightly if they're too hot to handle.
- Serve fried beans with the ranch dressing.
- Note: If the green beans you picked weren't extra large in size, but rather medium in size, then par-boil them for about 3 minutes, and deep fry them for about 1 minute & 30 seconds. Also, there's no need to add salt to the breading mixture, or to the beans after frying them, as I've found the bottle dressing seems to have enough salt in the ranch dressing. At least it did to me! One more thing I wanted to mention... I found 2 large handfuls of green beans, is pretty much equivalent to 9-ounces.