Granny's Fried Okra
- a bunch of fresh okra (not frozen)
- 2 parts self rising cornmeal ( not the yellow stuff)
- 1 part all purpose flour
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegetable oil
NOTE: I USUALLY START OFF USING 1 CUP OF CORNMEAL AND 1/2 CUP OF FLOUR. I ADD MORE WHEN NEEDED.
How to Make Granny's Fried Okra
- 1Rinse the okra off in a strainer.
- 2Chop up okra into bite size pieces removing the head and the tip of the tail. Just throw those 2 pieces away.
- 3If you like a thicker breading like in the picture then place the okra in a bowl with water in it. This helps to bring out the slime and the breading sticks to it better. (yes I said slime, you will see what I'm talking about in a minute) After you soak the okra for about 2 minutes or so, drain them and set aside.
- 4Dredge the okra in the flour mixture and throw those bad boys in the fryer.
- 5*If you don't like your breading too thick then do not put your okra back into the water after it is cut. Just dredge into the flour mixture and throw them into the fryer without crowding too much.
- 6Fry the okra in oil at 375 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until golden brown. If you don't have a fryer then place them in oil in a deep frying pan and cook over med- medium high heat till golden brown, turning when necessary.
- 7Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
- 8*TIP: you don't want your whole okras much more than 3 inches long. The bigger okras tend to be too hard and do not fry up very well. You can also squeeze them and see how hard they are.