Garlicky marinated vegetables
Irisa Raina 9
The longer this sits in the refrigerator the better it gets.
If you cannot find Famous Dave’s you can use any bread and butter pickle juice.
·4 or 5 “ 16oz” jars of reserved juice from famous dave’s sweet & spicy bread and butter pickles.
·8oz. “1/2 bag” “sliced frozen carrots
·8oz “1/2 bag” frozen sliced green beans
·1 medium head cauliflower
·1 medium head broccoli
·1 large sweet onion sliced as thick or thin as you would like it
·6 - 8 cloves of roasted garlic smashed” depending on how big they are” and how much you like garlic
·1 teaspoon sea salt
·3 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
·1 teaspoon red pepper flakes “optional”
How to Make Garlicky marinated vegetables
- Once you saved enough of the juice from the pickles “ I freeze it till I know I have enough” put the juice into a large soup pot and set aside.
- Pull the carrots and green beans out to defrost, you won't need to par cook these.
- In a separate pot put enough water in the pot so you can par-boil the cauliflower and broccoli.
- While you are waiting for the water to come to a rolling boil “you won’t need to salt the water “cut the heads off the cauliflower and broccoli.
- Get 2 large bowl’s of ice water to stop the cooking. Once the water is boiling, cook the cauliflower, for no more than 30 -45 seconds, remove and put into the ice water to stop the cooking.
- Then next do the broccoli for about 20 – 30 seconds and remove from the water and put in a separate ice water bath.
- Get the pickle juice warm “not hot “by simmering on the stove. Once it starts to simmer turn off the stove.
- Drain the par-boiled vegetables on paper towels.
- Put the pickle juice in a large bowl; add the carrots, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli. Mix with a spoon making sure the vegetables are all covered with the juice
- Mix the onion, smashed garlic, salt, pepper & red pepper in a small bowl.
- Once this is thoroughly mixed add to the vegetables and mix once again.
- Cover and put into the refrigerator for at least 2 days “ or longer if you can wait “ to marinade
- When you are ready to serve drain from the liquid and check for seasoning “ see if you need more salt and pepper”.