Garlicky marinated vegetables
Irisa Raina 9
The longer this sits in the refrigerator the better it gets.
If you cannot find Famous Dave’s you can use any bread and butter pickle juice.
- 4 or 5 “ 16oz” jars of reserved juice from famous dave’s sweet & spicy bread and butter pickles.
- 8oz. “1/2 bag” “sliced frozen carrots
- 8oz “1/2 bag” frozen sliced green beans
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 medium head broccoli
- 1 large sweet onion sliced as thick or thin as you would like it
- 6 - 8 cloves of roasted garlic smashed” depending on how big they are” and how much you like garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes “optional”
How to Make Garlicky marinated vegetables
- 1Once you saved enough of the juice from the pickles “ I freeze it till I know I have enough” put the juice into a large soup pot and set aside.
- 2Pull the carrots and green beans out to defrost, you won't need to par cook these.
- 3In a separate pot put enough water in the pot so you can par-boil the cauliflower and broccoli.
- 4While you are waiting for the water to come to a rolling boil “you won’t need to salt the water “cut the heads off the cauliflower and broccoli.
- 5Get 2 large bowl’s of ice water to stop the cooking. Once the water is boiling, cook the cauliflower, for no more than 30 -45 seconds, remove and put into the ice water to stop the cooking.
- 6Then next do the broccoli for about 20 – 30 seconds and remove from the water and put in a separate ice water bath.
- 7Get the pickle juice warm “not hot “by simmering on the stove. Once it starts to simmer turn off the stove.
- 8Drain the par-boiled vegetables on paper towels.
- 9Put the pickle juice in a large bowl; add the carrots, green beans, cauliflower and broccoli. Mix with a spoon making sure the vegetables are all covered with the juice
- 10Mix the onion, smashed garlic, salt, pepper & red pepper in a small bowl.
- 11Once this is thoroughly mixed add to the vegetables and mix once again.
- 12Cover and put into the refrigerator for at least 2 days “ or longer if you can wait “ to marinade
- 13When you are ready to serve drain from the liquid and check for seasoning “ see if you need more salt and pepper”.