2-3small to medium sized zucchini, sliced lengthwise in approximately 1/4
1 call purpose flour
·salt and pepper to taste
1/2"olive oil, extra virgin in a skillet
How to Make Fried Zucchini
- Depending on the size of your skillet, use enough oil (I always use Olive Oil) in a skillet to make it about 1/2" deep.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise in approximately 1/4" strips. Lightly salt and pepper the zucchini slices.
- Beat the eggs and milk mixture until well blended.
- Mix the flour and a small amount of salt and pepper in a large bowl. Dip the zucchini in the egg and milk mixture, then flour each slice well. Shake off any excess flour before adding to your hot oil.
- Heat the oil to medium-high, when the oil is hot enough, carefully drop in the zucchini one at a time.
Here is a good tip to test the hot oil: Use the handle of a wooden spoon or a wooden chopstick. When the oil has preheated, dip the handle of a wooden spoon or a chopstick into the oil. If the oil starts steadily bubbling, then the oil is hot enough for frying. If the oil bubbles vigorously, then the oil is too hot and needs to cool a bit. If you don't see any or very few bubbles pop up – then the oil is not hot enough.
- Turn the zucchini on each side after letting the bottom brown well prior to turning (or you will loose your batter). The zucchini slices are done when they are a nice golden brown on each side.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot with some of your favorite dipping sauces!
- Holly's Dipping Sauces: Here are a couple of my tried and true recipes for dipping sauce ~
Holly's Hot Horsey Sauce: Using about 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise, add about 1-2 Tbs of prepared horseradish (I buy the small jars of prepared horseradish in the condiment section of my grocery store) and mix well
Horsey Ketchup Sauce: Use approximately 1/2 Cup of your favorite Ketchup and add between 1-2 tbs of fresh prepared horseradish
Ranch Dill Dip: Using about 1/2 cup of Ranch Dressing, add fresh diced dill and mix well
Cucumber Ranch and Herb Dip: Using about 1/2 cup of Ranch dressing, add approximately 1/4 cup diced cucumber, 3-4 sprigs of diced cilantro, basil and oregano and mix well