Fried Okra - Dee Dee's
Diane Hopson Smith
I've tried egg whites before but I think the buttermilk does a better job in getting the crust just right for our taste. Yum!
- fresh okra, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- aunt jemima's buttermilk cornmeal
- canola oil
How to Make Fried Okra - Dee Dee's
- 1Slice okra and soak in buttermilk.
- 2Mix cornmeal, salt and pepper together in a bowl with plastic top or a large ziploc bag.
- 3Drain off as much of the buttermilk as you can. NOTE: it will still be thick.
- 4Heat oil in iron skillet. I heat up to a medium high. NOTE: I use a 10-inch (seasoned) iron skillet, however, I would think you could use a deep fryer as well.
- 5Add okra, several at a time to cornmeal to coat. You can put cornmeal mixture in plastic bag or a covered bowl and shake the okra.
- 6Fry in hot oil until golden brown, being careful to not over crowd the skillet.
- 7Remove from skillet, drain excess oil on paper towels.