Fried Green Tomatoes,Tennessee Style
- large green tomato,sliced into 6 even slices
- 1/2 to 3/4 c
- of buttermilk,( if you don't have buttermilk,just add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice to the same amount of milk and let sit for 5 minutes
- large egg
- 1/3 c
- yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour( can also use sel-rising
- 1/2 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp
- ground red pepper
- 1/2 tsp
How to Make Fried Green Tomatoes,Tennessee Style
- 1In a medium bowl, add tomato slices and coat with buttermilk; chill for 20 minutes.
- 2While tomatoes are soaking, mix together coating ingredients in another medium size bowl.
- 3Remove tomatoes from buttermilk--do not throw away buttermilk.
- 4Coat each tomato slice in coating mixture; set aside.
- 5Now in remaining buttermilk mixture add egg; beat well,then return each coated tomato to buttermilk, making sure each side is well coated.
- 6Return to coating mix one more time coating both sides.
- 7In a medium size skillet over medium high, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil till hot but not smoking,
fry on both sides until coating is golden brown.