Fried Green Tomatoes,Tennessee Style
1large green tomato,sliced into 6 even slices
1/2 to 3/4 cof buttermilk,( if you don't have buttermilk,just add 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice to the same amount of milk and let sit for 5 minutes
1/3 cyellow cornmeal
1/2 call purpose flour( can also use sel-rising
1/2 tspground black pepper
1/4 tspground red pepper
How to Make Fried Green Tomatoes,Tennessee Style
- In a medium bowl, add tomato slices and coat with buttermilk; chill for 20 minutes.
- While tomatoes are soaking, mix together coating ingredients in another medium size bowl.
- Remove tomatoes from buttermilk--do not throw away buttermilk.
- Coat each tomato slice in coating mixture; set aside.
- Now in remaining buttermilk mixture add egg; beat well,then return each coated tomato to buttermilk, making sure each side is well coated.
- Return to coating mix one more time coating both sides.
- In a medium size skillet over medium high, heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil till hot but not smoking,
fry on both sides until coating is golden brown.