Fried Green Tomato Pie
My husband who hates tomatoes loved it and said he could eat the whole thing for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! I have to admit, I could too!
It is great for a main dish or side dish.
- green tomatoes, either 4 large ones or small tomatoes to equal about 22 ounces
- 1 tsp
- sugar, divided
- 1 tsp
- 2/3 c
- seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/3 c
- panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 c
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp
How to Make Fried Green Tomato Pie
- 1Slice all of the tomatoes. Arrange 1/3 of the tomatoes in the bottom of a pie pan or 8x8 baking dish. Sprinkle with 1/3 of salt, 1/3 of sugar, and a little pepper. Top with 1/3 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 2Add second layer of tomatoes and sprinkle with 1/3 of salt, 1/3 of sugar, and a little pepper. Top with panko breadcrumbs and 1/2 cup cheese.
- 3Repeat the layers one more time- tomatoes, 1/3 of salt, 1/3 of sugar, and a little pepper, seasoned breadcrumbs and omit the cheese on the last layer at this point.
- 4Dot the butter on the top of the last breadcrumb layer. Bake at 400F for 60 minutes. Add the remaining cheese and bake for about 5-10 more minutes, until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.