How to Make Fresh Asparagus with Lemon Butter Sauce
- Select fresh asparagus for crispness and young tender pencil sized stalks are ideal.
- Wash asparagus under cold running water.
- Snap off the lower end of each stalk with your fingers, letting the stalk break where it wants to.
- This will leave only the tender portion of the asparagus; young tender stalks can be cooked in a steamer for 5-7 minutes, the more mature stalks for 7-10 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK asparagus--it will lose flavor and nutrients if overcooked.
- Prior to cooking the asparagus, prepare the lemon butter sauce.
- This is enough sauce for 1 to 1-1/2 pounds of asparagus.
- Combine the butter, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper sauce in a small saucepan and heat until hot--DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour the heated sauce over the cooked asparagus and serve.