EASY FRIED OKRA
How to Make EASY FRIED OKRA
- Drop okra slices into the bag with the cornmeal; seal bag & shake vigorously; set aside for at least an hour, shaking gently every 10 to 15 minutes. (This is necessary because the okra will exude some of it's juice, and the juice helps the cornmeal to stick to the okra.)
- Place several layers of paper towels on a 1 1/2 foot length of aluminum foil or heat-resistant plate/platter; set next to stove.
- After the okra has been in the cornmeal for an hour or two, pour oil into large skillet.
- Heat oil on stovetop over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches (usually 3,) add a single layer of cornmeal-coated okra slices quickly, several at a time, to cover bottom of skillet.
- Fry okra, turning frequently, until light golden brown on both sides (I use tongs or a fork for turning.) You may need to lower heat slightly toward the end of the first batch.